2.27.2011

Brunch Time: Dilly Deli

I love brunch. To me, there is no meal more luxurious. You get to loaf around all morning, arrive at the restaurant whenever you please, you can still have breakfast, a cocktail and, if you're lucky, you get to sit on a sunny patio and linger into the afternoon.

This particular brunch outing brought me to Dilly Deli...

Dilly Deli is a charming eatery in Tulsa's Blue Dome District that features delicious sandwiches, salads, and baked goods. And of course, a fabulous breakfast menu.
The people at Dilly Deli have taken a bare-bones old building and given it a  charming, fresh feel with eclectic furniture, bright colors at every turn, and a fabulous patio I have yet to explore (but there is a bocce ball court!).
Now to the food! (and drink)

Before I could decide on my breakfast item of choice, I had my eye on their Bloody Mary. I typically don't like Bloody Marys but I was intrigued by their house infused spicy vodka that I saw brewing on the counter on the way in.
Holy cow. I am now a Bloody Mary fan. This cocktail wasn't like those I'd had in the past that seemed more akin to spicy tomato sauce you drink with a straw. This Bloody Mary had added tomato juice to the mix so it was thin and drinkable and just the right amount of spice that didn't linger too long on the tongue. I was so enamored with this beverage I grilled my poor, very busy waiter on its ingredients. Amongst them: wasabi powder, cayenne, and celery salt.  Add a salt and peppered rim, and ta-da!
If you're not a Bloody Mary fan, you can always have a mimosa made with freshly squeezed OJ or a cocktail made with their house infused orange vodka. Or, maybe just a nice hot cup of joe made with Tulsa's own Topeca Coffee beans.

When it came time to order, we were warned about the dishes that they had run out of already. Amongst them, The Jed- "a cinnamon roll as big as your head". That means it's got to be delicious...

I decided on a breakfast sandwich, the Meg...
 A fried egg, bacon, tomato, cheddar, lettuce and avocado between two pieces of crusty Tuscan bread served with crispy hashbrowns. The cheddar they used had a great sharpness to it that pulled the whole sandwich together. Delicious and satisfying.

D ordered their Reuben, Margie's Rueb, which was named their signature dish in TulsaPeople Magazine. Poor boy knew he didn't really have a choice with this one.
There is nothing about this Reuben that makes it different from any other Reuben in town. It's got corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and Russian dressing on rye bread- no special twist with this one. But, my word, it is the best Reuben I've ever had. I didn't even know they could be this good. That just shows you how incredible their ingredients are at Dilly Deli.

Adding to Dilly Deli's appeal, both the Tuscan and rye breads are made in town at Farrel Family Bread organic bakery. And, boy, do they know what they're doing. I feel a field trip coming up...

If you love Tulsa and you love a good sandwich, you need to get your buns down to Dilly Deli. Not only will you be supporting local businesses, but Tulsa's blossoming downtown as well!

Dilly Deli on Urbanspoon

1 comments:

BroddyAdams said...

I like the valuable information you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently. I'm quite certain I will learn a lot of new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!
costa rica vacation rentals

Post a Comment