3.08.2011

Feeling Saucy: Salsa di Trastevere

As promised, I'm here to show you how to make the lovely sauce in which I tossed my gnocchi. Feel free to use it over the pasta of your choosing- it's quite delicious!

I wasn't sure what I was going to call this sauce until I smelled it simmering away on the stove. I felt like I had been transported back to my time abroad in Rome where I had many delicious dinners with good friends. So, I named this sauce after the neighborhood in which we went to school and spent many memorable evenings- Trastevere.

This is a simple tomato sauce that combines two of my favorite ingredients- prosciutto and basil. Simple and tasty!

To begin, the prosciutto gets crisped in some olive oil and set aside. Next, diced onion and minced garlic are sauteed with some red pepper flakes until soft and fragrant. I think there is no better smell than onions and garlic cooking together on the stove- maybe I was supposed to be born an Italian!

To sauce things up, whole canned tomatoes are crushed in to the pan along with some fresh basil and parsley and the cooked prosciutto. I suggest using San Marzano tomatoes, which usually you can find at any grocery store... except for the day I went shopping. They're known for being very sweet and delicious.
Now, you get to enjoy the smells in your kitchen while you let the sauce simmer for at least 25-30 minutes.

After you season it to taste with salt and pepper, toss in your freshly cooked gnocchi or pasta du jour and enjoy a delicious meal!
I did the happy food dance after taking my first bite... am I the only one with a good food dance?

Salsa di Trastevere
3oz prosciutto, sliced into thin strips
2-3 tbs olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2-1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbs butter
1 can whole tomatoes- preferably San Marzano or other of good quality
1/4 c fresh basil, chopped
1/4 c fresh Italian parsley, chopped
Salt & pepper

1. Heat 2-3 tbs olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in sliced prosciutto and cook until crispy, about 3-5 min. Remove and set aside.
2. In the same pan, melt 1 tbs of butter into the olive oil. Add onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes and saute until softened, about 5-7 min.
3. Crush tomatoes into the pan. Add herbs and cooked prosciutto.
4. Simmer sauce over low to low-medium heat for 25-30 min, stirring occasionally.
5. Toss in pasta of choice and let cook for 2-3 more minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment