7.20.2011

Livesay Orchards: Delicious, Seasonal Produce

,After last weekend's Porter Peach Festival, we were itching to bring home some delicious Porter peaches of our own. Though the bushels of peaches sold at the festival auction were tempting, we decided to follow a hunch and the trail of cars that followed the road-side signs to Livesay Orchards. And I'm so glad we did.

We arrived at the largest peach orchard in the state to a crowd of people clamoring to grab a peck of Porter peaches to call their own. There were racks and tables full of beautiful, fragrant peaches, each labeled a different variety. I had no idea there were so many!
We asked an employee to help us decide which kind of peach to buy and he sold us on the Glohaven- the sweetest they had available. I grabbed my peck peaches only shortly before the variety had run out- phew!
Livesay is not just about peaches. They had the most amazing cantaloupe I have ever seen. The fragrance of the sweet fruit permeated the air around it and I just couldn't say no. It smelled like candy! To try my hand out at pickling, I picked up some short and stout cucumbers in a brilliant green. Also available was fresh okra, squash, watermelon, and tomatoes.
In addition to selling some of the freshest fruit I have laid my eyes on, Livesay also sold a variety of peach flavored condiments such as peach butter, jam and salsa and even peach BBQ sauce. I picked up a bottle of sweet sorghum, a syrup similar to molasses that is mentioned in the Lee Bros cookbooks. I'm excited to see what it tastes like and what I can do with it!
Livesay Orchards is a perfect place for a family outing or weekend getaway. Open mid-June to October, you can find the freshest produce of the season Monday through Saturday 8am-6pm and Sunday 1pm-5pm. When the crop is good, you can even pick your own! Peaches in the summer and apples and pumpkins in the fall. Can't wait for that apple pie and big jack-o'-lantern that is to come!

Livesay Orchards
39232 E 231st St S
Porter, OK 74454
918.483.2102
LivesayOrchards.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment