4.19.2012

Strawberry-Basil Margaritas with Basil Sugar

Even though it's my birthday today, I'm going to give YOU a gift. Behold: the Strawberry-Basil Margarita. This cocktail is so delicious I can hardly stand it. Don't plan on driving anywhere after making these because you will drink the whole pitcher, guaranteed. At least, we did!

We had a hankering for margs the other day and didn't want to by one of those super sweet mixes. I also didn't want a plain ol' margarita- I wanted something interesting to drink! After looking through recipes, it was clear this could easily get expensive. As much as I would love to freshly squeeze 20 limes and buy a nice bottle of Cointreau, it just wasn't in the budget. I had heard of the strawberry-basil combination before but hadn't yet tried it- this was my opportunity to experiment. So I came up with this budget-friendly and simple margarita that is sure to be your go to drink this summer. If you don't have  a pot of basil on your porch already, this is reason enough to get planting!


The ingredients are simple: frozen limeade concentrate, frozen strawberries, silver tequila, triple sec, basil leaves and ice. After a whirl in the blender it resembles something like heaven. The basil works its magic, taming the sweetness and lending its subtle flavor that will leave your guests wondering what the secret ingredient it. That is, if you share!

And then there's the icing on the cake. The basil sugar. Your food processor will take these everyday ingredients...
And turn them into a sophisticated, tasty and not to mention gorgeous accent to your drink. It couldn't be any easier! 

Bottoms up!

Strawberry-Basil Margaritas with Basil Sugar
Makes 4-6 serverings (depending on who pours!)

  • 12 oz frozen limeade concentrate
  • 2 cup frozen strawberries
  • 3/4 cup silver tequila
  • 1/4 cup triple sec
  • 7 large basil leaves, or equivalent
  • 2 cup crushed ice
  • For sugar:
    • 4 large basil leaves, or equivalent
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 1 lime
  1. Blend ingredients until smooth. Adjust tequila to your liking and taste to ensure adequate basil flavor, add more if needed.
  2. In food processor (or blender before the beverages) combine sugar and basil until basil is finely chopped.
  3. Run a lime segment around the rim of each glass and dip into basil sugar to coat rim. Fill with margaritas and drink up!
Link Up
Newlyweds
The Shady Porch
Momnivore's Dilemma
Skip to my Lou
Sumo's Sweet Stuff
Under the Table and Dreaming
A Pinch of Joy
C.R.A.F.T.
Ms. enPlace
Randee's Organized Chaos
Serendipity and Spice
Nifty Thrifty Things
Flamingo Toes
It's SoVery Cheri
Inspired by Felicity 
Everyday Mom's Meals
Addicted to Recipes
Blissful and Domestic
Creation Corner
Happy Go Lucky
The Not So Functional Housewife
Simply Designing- Simply Link
Joyful Stamper- Inspire Me Fridays
Sassy Sites- Free for All Friday
Just Us Four- Pinworthy Project
Simply Sweet Home- Friday Favorites
The Shabby Nest- Frugal Friday
The Grant Life- Financial Friday
Simple Living with Diane Balch- Foodie Friday
Serenity Now- Weekend Bloggy Party
The Country Cook- Weekend Potluck
A Little Nosh- Tastetastic Thursday
Miz Helen's Country Cottage- Full Plate Thursday
The Crafty Blog Stalker- Blog Stalking Thursday

25 comments:

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Looks so delicious!! Megan

Anonymous said...

Great blog! I'm stopping by from the BHE blog hop! Hope you can take a minute to check out my blog! http://acostaeveli.blogspot.com/p/5-day-blog-hop.html Have a great weekend! :)

Cathartic Cuisine said...

Loved it enough to borrow it for a recipe this week! AWESOME!

Lauren said...

@Cathartic Cuisine Let me know what you think of them! We're going to whip up another batch tonight :) Enjoy!

Gloria Baker said...

What nice recipe Lauren I think look delicious!!

Gloria Baker said...

and course Im following you LOL

Lauren said...

@GloriaThank you, Gloria! So glad you stopped by and thanks for the follow!

Lisa said...

Happy birthday! Hope it was a good one!

I'm not big on hard alcohol, but I think I could do this! The strawberry flavor sounds so good!

Lauren said...

@Lisa Thank you for the birthday wishes! If you wanted to make a virgin version of this it would be just as tasty! Maybe try just a splash of orange juice to replace the triple sec flavor!

Natalia said...

This looks really good! I love margaritas! I am stopping by from The Grant Life link up! :)

momto8 said...

Happy birthday!! I am sitting here playing on my MAC waiting for my husband...and that drink sounds soooo good on a Friday evening!! thanks!
i am your newest follower from the hop..pls follow back if you can.
have great weekend!

Lauren said...

@momto8 Thank you for the birthday wishes! Will be stopping by your site soon- thanks for the follow!

janet said...

It looks really good!
I love margaritas, I will try it.

The Country Cook said...

Thank you SO much for linking this up over at Weekend Potluck. I love how unique this is. I can imagine the combo. of flavors would be so delicious! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Miz Helen said...

Your Strawberry Basil Margaritas with Basil Sugar will be a big hit at our next social event. Of course we may have to try them before that happens. Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Lauren said...

@janetLet me know what you think! Thanks for stopping by!

Lauren said...

@The Country CookThanks for hosting and for stopping by! And thanks for the Picmonkey suggestion- I LOVE it!

Lauren said...

@Miz HelenI'm sure they will be a real crowd pleaser- but after trying them you may not want to share! Thanks for hosting, see you next Thursday!

Addicted to Recipes said...

Sounds like a perfect summery drink! Thanks for posting at Scrumptious Sunday :-)

Dawn@MakingHome said...

These sound DELISH ! I have never used basil in a marg before , but I will definatley give it a try ! Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

Michelle B said...

Thank you for the present :-)
And Happy Birthday a bit late.

I have basil waiting in my garden and am excited to try this. Thanks for linking!

Lauren said...

@MMThank you for the birthday wishes! Let me know what you think!

ShirleyRunner said...

Happy Birthday Lauren, this looks yummy might have to make a trip to the store and buy the ingredients. I am not following you through GFC.

Lauren said...

These are well worth the trip. Thanks for the follow!

Charlene@APinchofJoy said...

A belated happy birthday! Interesting flavor combination -- bet it would translate into other dishes as well! Thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday at A Pinch of Joy. Hope to see you again next week!

Post a Comment